Sunday, May 18, 2014

Familear Faces




Hello!
I have had a good week! An interesting one, but good!
During sacrament I had some fun memories pop into my had from those meetings in my early years! I remember standing on my chair looking at whoever was talking with my camouflage binoculars, eating little sour orange flavored "lollies," as the Aussies call them, from my moms purse, and getting coloring books out of mom & dads black brief case they brought to church. That is WAY back, you can tell cause I said mom and dad. Ha. Good fun lil memories I thought of yesterday, do not fear though, I am not trunky in the slightest. ha. We have done a lot this week and it has been fun! We kinda rearrange our wall art and Put both flags side by side, with Ol' Glory above my bed. SO I decided to take a few pics.. haha. Also, We found a Scarface poster under our bed that said  "Money Power Respect" so we shanged it to 'Faith Priesthood Respect For God" it was funny! We covered up where it said Scarface and put Missionaries and covered some of the inappropriate things he was holding into pass along cards and a paper air plain. haha. It was funny! So that is in our apartment now...  And they other day I read In Alma where Captain Moroni rends his clothes, creates the title of liberty, and rallies the people. SO during companionship study when we all share what we learned I shared that and how much I liked reading it. As the others went around and shared, I realized there was a hole in my shirt, and the neck was really tight (yes I am getting fat I know! but I lost like 9  lbs in 2 weeks, or like 3-4 Kgs) so I joked about something making me mad and ripped my shirt where it had said hole and tore it off.. haha then made our own title of liberty and we all signed it! haha kind of like our own legacy scroll for those of you that have served.. haha That is some of our wall art now... pretty cool!  Thought you would enjoy that! hopefully the picture of it loads so I can send it! Our library is not the best... the internet is really slow.... but Come what may right!
   So this week at Church some of our older members, the Kirbys, brought their friends to church. He was introducing them, they looked oddly familiar when I saw them. HE said the just returned from a Mission in... And before He could say it I said "Saint George Utah, In the visitors center!" I had met them there when I went down to visit dad. Elder and Sister, now Brother and Sister, Houston! Remarkably they remembered me! I found it fascinating! It was so much fun to talk to them. They said the miss the desert. ha. I also got to ask them if they knew Sister Busteed. they lit up "we LOVE sister Busteed! she was one of the missionaries we got really close with! In fact she said she would come visit us!" They were happy when I told them that she was from my home ward and knew her little brother quite well. Also funny, my first companion Elder keefer is serving currently in their ward in Sydney! Pretty cool. they were so happy that we could make such connections. It was fun to talk to them. I normally don't remember people.. so I was happy. What a fun miracle!
   As I always like to share, My core experience with god this week was definitely in teaching a referral family. They are good people who are looking for a church. They study the Bible everyday. Walking into their home it almost felt like a members home. All the kids were happy to see us and even shook our hands. We really got to know them and taught the restoration. But it was unlike any other Restoration lesson I have taught. It was THE MOST "Preach My Gospel" I have been a part of, I keep saying. Anything and everything we did it was just like preach my gospel said to teach. From How To Begin Teaching to the Baptismal Commitment even to having the Father of the Home say a kneeling prayer at the end of lesson and leaving a short time after! The spirit in that lesson was incredible. They actually asked questions to make sure they understood what we were saying. We asked if they would read the Book Of Mormon. Their Response: "How could we not?" It was incredible. The Member we brought, who gave us the referral, was fantastic. Testified at the right times and knew his stuff, because we took the night before to co-ordinate. like Elder Ballard said in the November Conference the Lord IS Hastening his work. The People we are finding are more prepared than I could imagine. I am SO grateful to be able to be the Lords Set-apart full time servant right now. It is incredible what the spirit can do... I hope to be able to teach like this for every investigator we see, not Just Graham and Denise.
      Our teaching is getting better. One of the members recently asked to have us teach her children that is close to being baptized. We were excited to be invited to their home for the first time since I have been in the area. It has really helped us build relationship and trust with that family, but more so our teaching. Teaching a young girl seven years old, even though she is a bit brighter than most in her Sunday school class, forces you to teach simply. This is just what we have needed. It has been a blessing to teach things simply and understandable. Since she is so young we can see what confuses her, indicating what it is we need to make more clear and improve on. It was been Great! Little Matilda will be more ready than most that get Baptized at her age.
    What I really found interesting when Elder Halek, from the Area Presidency, came this last week was when he told us we are there for the Bishop and Ward Council to use. It was really needed. It is so easy for missionaries to get a little prideful and say "oh, the ward council doesn't do enough for us, they won't help us." That is not how it is supposed to work. We are there to help THEM. We are their tools. I understand that we need to be careful with that and make sure we are still fulfilling our purpose, but it was fantastic to get a different point of view and understand what bishop sees rather than what we see. We definitely can and are starting to work better with the Ward Council. If we stay on course here the area should be heading a good direction. We are working to make sure we do our part.
   I love you all so much and am so grateful for the Examples I have had in all phases of my life! You all are truly an inspiration!
Love,
     Elder Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment